Why is this an issue? Edit

Recently many Canadian politicians have switched parties mostly for personal gain. As such, many Canadians feel that they do not have a MP who is responsible to them. This policy deals with crossing the floor and the rules that must apply if a MP wishes to change political parties mid parliment.

Requirements to switch parties Edit

Ideally an MP will switch prior to an election being called and will serve their term as the party they were elected under. If an MP wishes to change parties, then

  • one needs to hold a vote within the riding requiring a 50% approval for the MP to switch political parties. If the approval threshold is not reached, a by-election should be called.
  • alternatively, the MP must become an Independent until the next election is called, at which point she could run for the party she wishes to join.

Questions Edit

  • Are people actually going to want a by-election?
  • What sort of turnouts do by-election usually have?
  • How much does it cost a riding and/or party to hold a by-election?
  • If by-elections are that expensive, would a system where the seat is held by the party and a party can replace a floor-crossing MP be more practical? More palatable to Canadians than the current system?
  • Should a MP be allowed to sit as an Independent if he so wishes? (He would be forbidden from taking any office)
  • How do situations such as party mergers and splits play into this?
  • Would not any such policy produce a situation where the parties held too much control over their constituents?
  • Perhaps a recall system would be better.
This policy is a stub. Please help us by expanding it.